The following rules and recommendations are intended for Dunany residents and, especially, those who rent cottages. Renters should communicate them to their lessees and insist that they follow them to make living in Dunany most enjoyable for all.
- The use of gas powered motorboats is totally prohibited on all Dunany lakes. Only small electric motors of 50 pounds of thrust or less are allowed.
- Lawn mowing or tree cutting without a permit are not permitted in the 15 meter protection band around the lakes. Application and use of pesticides, natural fertilizers and chemicals are also prohibited.
- Proper maintenance of septic systems is critical for the health of our lakes. Permanent residents should service them every two years, vacationers every four years. A copy of your invoice should be sent to your municipality. Water should also be used sparingly as overloaded septic systems will increase the volume of nutrients that reach the lake.
- All boats such as kayaks and canoes used outside of our watershed should be cleaned before being used in our lakes to prevent the arrival of invasive plants and molluscs such as Eurasian Watermilfoil.
- Aquatic vegetation should not be cleared from the shoreline as the practice can do more harm than good.
- The maintenance and construction of docks is regulated by the municipalities and authorization should be obtained before major work or new installations.
- Noise and Light. Dunany is a peaceful setting where quietness is appreciated. Moreover, sound travels far and is amplified over water. Please don’t make noise or play music so loud neighbours will hear it, especially at night. Same goes for spots on lakeside that pollute our night view.
- Outdoor fires. A permit from the municipality is always required. They should be lit far from the lake as their ashes contain a lot of phosphorus. Ashes should be doused and later removed from the pit and disposed of.
- Fireworks also require a permit. The DCA discourages their use as they pollute, are dangerous and break the tranquility the residents have sought.
- Washing in the lake is not an acceptable practice as soaps and shampoos contain nutrients that are harmful to the lake.
This is a Word version of the document that you can print: Living in Dunany 2019
JP February 2019